Filming on NC Roads/Highways

Although not a permitting agency, the North Carolina Film Office works with the North Carolina Department of Transportation on your behalf when requesting permission and assistance to shoot on or near state-maintained roads or highways.

Whether you're shooting b-roll or staging a major stunt, the process will go more smoothly with our guarantee of proper channeling. Complete the form below to start the process.

Please submit your paperwork at least two (2) weeks prior to your proposed shoot. If you have an especially complicated shoot, requiring stunts, car chases, etc., submit your request a month in advance.

*For road and traffic assistance on city or county roads, please contact the local police department where you are filming for appropriate permits or assistance.

Request Type

* The production should contact local law enforcement (i.e. city/town police department or county sheriff’s office) with regards to hiring off-duty officers to assist with traffic during filming. It is the production’s responsibility to secure these individuals and pay for their services.

^ For bridge and road closures, applicant should also email a proposed detour route to after submitting the road assistance request form

Rain Dates
Shoot Location

The NC Film Office will contact the State Department of Transportation on your behalf. DOT will contact you with 48 regular business hours and provide assistance and/or advice on your project.

By submitting this form I ATTEST that the information provided on this form is complete, correct and in no way misleading or false. I am fully authorized to represent the production/applicant stated and will work with NC state officials to adhere to their safety regulations to protect property and lives.

NOTE: THE NC FLIM OFFICE IS NOT A PERMITTING AGENCY. We work on your behalf with state agencies to secure proper permitting for your shoot.

ContactLocationsDirectoryAppEat Sleep Play